Wednesday 21 December 2011

Review | New Ski Wear from Simply Piste


As the saying goes ‘better late than never’, and that certainly applies to this blog post, which was supposed to go up a short while ago but sadly the fates intervened with some interesting consequences…


Having had my laptop removed from my possession (stolen) my original blog post went along with it (I hope the thieves enjoyed reading it!) But what that allowed me to do was give my new ski suit a more rigorous test than I had previously intended.


Bought from Simply Piste, my Five ski suit arrived a little over three weeks ago and since then I have been putting it through its paces (mostly using it to combat the broken heating at home). The purchase process was simple enough with the site being easy to navigate and the suit was delivered within a couple of days.


A black and red suit, I had initially intended on spending a little more money as I have always labored under the illusion that the more you spend the better the product. However budgetary restraints meant that I needed to consider a cheaper option (which could easily have been at my peril) and with that in mind I purchased my £90 suit.


Having received it, I promptly went to my nearest dry slope to give it a try. The salopettes were very comfortable and durable, as having fallen a couple of times on the hard surface they only scuffed very slightly. They do have some braces on them that can be annoying. In the end, having adjusted them a couple of times I gave up and took them off which was much better. They fit very well and dealt with the cold excellently, meaning my legs were nice and toasty.


The jacket, which is very bright ensuring there would be no visibility problems on the slopes, was a little more difficult to get used to. When walking around with it done up like in the pictures, it is stiff and unforgiving in the neck. Luckily once the top button was undone it was a lot more free flowing and came into its own on the slopes.


It moves very well with the contours of your body especially while you are skiing. There are numerous pockets for storage including on the arms and whilst you wouldn’t put anything too heavy in them, they are great for carrying bank cards and notes (just don’t expect to empty your penny jars into them and be able to move your arms). There is also a glove pocket and detachable hood which is great as the hood can be quite annoying.


The one thing that had me concerned was that the cold still penetrated it somewhat and I was worried that if this were the case how would it hold up to snow and/or rain. The answer I was soon to find out…


Due to the laptop debacle, the delay in re-writing my post allowed me to test the suit out in Ireland (the home of rain). Throughout the weekend it rained cats and dogs and the jacket kept me both warm and dry, whilst the oversized hood that really annoyed me when skiing came into its own, keeping kept my head nice and dry.


All in all, for £90 an excellent suit that is good quality and will come in handy when I go skiing next year.


A snow angel rating of * * * * out of 5


If you have any questions about the suit, this blog or any comments you would like to leave please feel free to do so. I hope you enjoyed it and I will blog about my other ski related purchases shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment