Sunday 11 March 2012

Review | Berghaus Revolutionise the Fleece

Whilst it may not seem the appropriate weather to be talking about fleeces (seeing as most places are basking in sun at the moment) one thing is certain about British weather…it won’t last and when it turns you’re going to need something to keep you warm!


If you have read any of my other blogs you will know that I am currently working on trying to get fit for two 10km runs and, in the process get a six pack (vain as it may seem).


Part of my fitness regime has been to mix indoor and outdoor activities rather than merely the sterile environment of the gym. With that in mind, I took up hiking and dragged the family Shih Tzu’s with me up any hill I could find around the Birmingham area.



I realised quite quickly into this endeavor, that my attire was not really suited to traipsing up the Lickie Hills. So I decided to buy something to keep me warm but still give me the maneuverability to break into a jog or run when/if I felt like it.


At first I tried both hoodies (too warm) and golf jackets (too sleeveless) but felt that neither offered a comfortable combination for the intended purpose. So whilst looking for skins (base layers) I came across the range of Berghaus fleeces on Simply Hike (sister company of Simply Piste from whom I bought my recent ski gear).


Let me just state something for the record – my impressions of fleeces were steeply entrenched in experiences I had in the 90’s of being forced to wear them when they were sack like (and green) on family outings…something that still haunts me to this day!


This fleece, on the other hand, has redefined my understanding of what a fleece is.


Lets start with the fit. Due to lack of supplies of mediums I went with a large hoping it would not be too big. In fact it was completely the opposite – it’s rather snug. I like to think this is because I have gained some mass from going to the gym but I think the reality is that the sizing comes a little on the small side - so take note if you are intending to buy (I think might be because they are no longer sack like in any respect).


The wrists and waist have elastic in them to keep it from flailing around, whilst the sides have 4-way stretch side panels which offer excellent maneuverability – I may even take it when I play golf as it is better than golfing attire that has cost me twice as much.


With a half zip the top can be adjusted to allow additional ventilation when you get warm or zip it up for more warmth if it gets chilly. It’s also blue which helps me disassociate it with the monstrosity that I had to wear when I was younger.


However, the lack of pockets does pose a small problem. There is one on the breast (which I think you can see in the picture) and whilst this is quite deep and nicely lined, carrying anything in it just seems as though you have one really heavy boob, looking somewhat out of place. My advice - if you think it is going to get chilly take some gloves with you.


For me the comfort, fit and feel makes this the perfect mid-wear top that keeps you warm on cool evenings and is cool enough to wear even when the weather has got better. At just over £40 it is very reasonably priced and has become a firm favourite of mine, whether it is walking the dogs or just chilling out around the house…and the dogs like it as it means they get walked more!


It will also be one of key pieces of gear when I go on my hiking/mountain biking holiday to the Hotel Mar I Vent in Banyalbufar, Mallorca at the end of the month.


As ever hoped you enjoyed the post and please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Fab I'm planning on going on a walking holiday in Scotland towards the end of the year. Ill defo look into purchasing something like this! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete